Job Posting: Coordinator, Brickbottom Open Studios (BBOS)
Posted: March 15, 2020
The Brickbottom Artists Association (BAA) is seeking an energetic, highly-organized and digitally-savvy Coordinator to plan and execute its annual open studios—one of the oldest open studios events in Somerville. The two-day festival is traditionally held the weekend before Thanksgiving, which falls on November 21st and 22nd in 2020.
Reporting to the BAA Board of Directors, and working closely with the BAA Membership Coordinator, the Coordinator of Open Studios appoints and partners with volunteers to plan and execute all aspects of the annual two-day event. The ideal candidate is a creative problem-solver, and a skilled diplomat with the temperament to manage a diverse group of passionate stakeholders.
Work begins with planning in May, and ends with the collection of feedback and debrief with volunteers within a few weeks following the event. The majority of the work is concentrated in the six weeks leading up to the event. There is a modest stipend provided.
Although the Open Studios Coordinator has traditionally been a resident of Brickbottom, this is not required. Much of the work could be completed remotely, with in-person meetings held at Brickbottom.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage (and recruit if necessary) a cabinet of volunteers who are responsible for various aspects and duties of the planning and execution, i.e. publicity, space planning, volunteer coordination, affiliate liaison, performances, etc.
- Oversee the execution of the plan according to the Cabinet Timeline and Showrunner’s Bible documents provided by the previous director
- Work closely with the BAA Membership Coordinator and Treasurer to manage the open studios registration and budget
- Communicate all announcements, policies, schedules, etc. to the membership and participating artists, and act as liaison with Brickbottom residents, office and Trustees
Qualifications and Skills
- Computer and Internet literacy required
- Proficiency with the Google Suite platform (docs, sheets, and drive)
- Ability to create targeted email communications and audience lists using Mail Chimp
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively delegate responsibilities
- Passion for Brickbottom Open Studios event, and our community
- Current BAA member preferred
- Prior open studios participation preferred
- Previous experience leading a community of artists or creative people preferred
- Experience working with databases preferred
- Event planning or project management experience a plus
A modest stipend of $1000 is provided (paid as 1099 contractor).
The Brickbottom Artists Association (BAA) is dedicated to preserving and expanding the arts in Somerville and the greater Boston area. Year-round, the Brickbottom Gallery presents thoughtful and professionally curated art exhibitions as one of Somerville’s few non-profit contemporary art galleries. Through community outreach and involvement, free lectures and scholarship awards, the BAA strives to expand an awareness of the arts that enriches the Boston community at large.
Interested parties may email email@example.com to schedule an informal interview.